Cloudera Delivers First Complete Enterprise Data Hub
PALO ALTO, CA – Cloudera has announced the availability of the industry’s first complete enterprise data hub solution. The company also announced commercial support for Apache Spark, which offers fast interactive analytics and stream processing. Cloudera Enterprise is designed to help companies become information-driven, by providing a single platform that complements existing systems to efficiently and securely store, process, analyze and serve any amount or type of data.
The company unveiled an update to its Cloudera Enterprise offering, with three new editions aligned to how users most commonly use Hadoop:
- Cloudera Enterprise Data Hub Edition, which includes unlimited supported use of all Cloudera’s advanced components: Cloudera Impala for interactive analytic SQL queries; Cloudera Search for interactive search; Cloudera Navigator for data management including data auditing, lineage and discovery; Apache Spark for interactive analytics and stream processing; and Apache HBase for online NoSQL storage and applications.
- Cloudera Enterprise Flex Edition, for delivering dedicated mission-critical applications, using one of the above advanced components of the user’s choice on a given Hadoop cluster.
- Cloudera Enterprise Basic Edition, for users who rely on advanced system management for Hadoop in production environments, yet need only core Hadoop for batch processing and storage, at an economical price.
A new addition to the Cloudera Enterprise family is support for Apache Spark, an open source, parallel data processing framework that complements Hadoop, making it easy to develop fast, unified Big Data applications that combine batch, streaming and interactive analytics. Spark is deeply integrated with Hadoop with common data, metadata, security and resource management, is 10 to 100x faster than Hadoop MapReduce for data processing, and also enables easy development of stream processing applications for the Hadoop ecosystem.
"Fast Data is a new hotspot with Hadoop. The same data explosion that generated demand for Big Data Analytics is also creating demand for making the data instantly actionable. Cloudera's embrace of Spark is a major stake in the ground for promoting Fast Data workloads on Hadoop," said Tony Baer, principal analyst, Ovum. "Cloudera's simplified pricing and broad inclusion of components will remove a major point of friction for customers seeking to explore the potential of Hadoop."
Enterprises Retain All Their Data Assets
In today’s fiercely competitive and increasingly data-driven business environment, enterprises require a cost effective, secure and centralized data management platform from which to store, process and analyze all their data.
Users can leverage an enterprise data hub to:
- Increase Business Visibility: Enterprises can make decisions based on real customer and business data, to achieve critical business insight that yields a competitive advantage. Users can manage all their data from one unified platform, with faster time to insight and business value than was ever before possible.
- Manage Risk and Compliance: Organizations can more quickly and easily detect fraud or security attacks, and remain in compliance with the regulatory requirements of their industry, with greater data retention across the organization. An enterprise data hub is the ultimate compliment to SIEM solutions, allowing a greater number of enterprise end users to securely access a broader range of datasets for proactive threat identification.
- Achieve New Levels of Operational Efficiency: Even as data volumes continue to grow, an enterprise data hub simplifies data management to free up IT resources while keeping all data readily available for analysis by business users.
“The delivery of our enterprise data hub marks a major step in the evolution of the enterprise data management industry,” said Mike Olson, chief strategy officer at Cloudera. “We continue to innovate by putting the transformative power of the data economy into the hands of more business users, in a model that customers have been asking for to truly empower them to become successful information-driven businesses.”
Extending the Capabilities and Benefits of Cloudera Enterprise
Cloudera Connect: Innovators offers a range of innovative solutions from projects and companies that can be integrated with Cloudera Enterprise. The program helps enterprises of any size solve large-scale data challenges and derive real business value from all their data.
The program's inaugural partner, Databricks, spun out of AMPLab at the University of California (UC), Berkeley, is the company behind the popular Apache Spark framework. With Spark, Cloudera users can now perform rapid, resilient processing of in-memory datasets stored in Hadoop, as well as general data processing. For analysts and data scientists who rely on iterative algorithms (e.g. clustering/classification), Spark is 10 to 100x faster than MapReduce delivering faster time to insight on more data, resulting in better business decisions and user outcomes.
"Databricks is excited to partner with Cloudera to enable customers to enjoy the same enterprise-grade support for Spark as the other components within Cloudera Enterprise. This integration will help enterprises accelerate their journey towards an “end-to-end” enterprise data hub that can deliver more powerful insights faster," said Arsalan Tavakoli-Shiraji, Head of Business Development at Databricks.