EMC Rolls Out Breakthrough Hybrid Cloud Innovations
LAS VEGAS — At EMC World 2014, EMC announced major new software-defined storage products and technologies designed to enable the blended benefits of a public and private cloud, delivering service providers and users in any industry and of any size, the efficiency, agility, security and control of a hybrid cloud.
The 3rd Platform of IT  is based on the mega trends of cloud, mobile, social and big data and is creating a new world of opportunity — and competitive threat — for businesses in every industry. New mobile applications are delivering unique and frictionless experiences for customers both to interact and transact. These applications serve hundreds to millions of users and generate 1000x the amount of information as their predecessors.
This, in turn, is leading to organizations redefining themselves with software and transforming data centers into fully virtualized and automated private clouds, while also running certain applications in a public cloud. When combined together, they form a hybrid cloud — where almost all applications will live to make IT more efficient and agile and cost-effective. Suggesting a significant move toward adoption of a hybrid cloud model, last week the Economist Intelligence Unit published a report  which found that 63 percent of business executives plan to increase reliance on corporate IT to deliver both internal and external IT resources.
To help users navigate arguably the biggest transformational shift the IT industry has ever seen, EMC is delivering new software-defined storage products designed to help organizations manage their traditional enterprise applications; deploy next-generation applications faster, with new levels of efficiency and speed; and convert new sources of data insight into new revenue streams.
David Goulden, CEO, EMC Information Infrastructure said, "The industry is navigating the single-most transformative IT shift ever. It's driven by billions of devices, billions of users and millions of applications. Not a single industry or organization is immune to this sweeping change. The priority for customers today is to drive competitive advantage by harnessing the forces of mobile, social, cloud and big data, while maximizing existing investments that support traditional enterprise workloads. The Hybrid cloud model allows customers to run applications easily and cost-effectively inside or outside of their data centers, and today's Software-Defined products make this possible."
New Hybrid Cloud Products
- EMC Elastic Cloud Storage (ECS) Appliance  (formerly known as "Project Nile") is a hyperscale cloud storage infrastructure that redefines the economic benefits of cloud storage for service providers and users of any size in any industry. The appliance delivers the ease-of-use, agility and cost benefits of public cloud, with the control and security of an on-premise private cloud. It offers up to 28 percent lower TCO than public cloud alternatives from Amazon and Google.
- EMC ViPR Software-Defined Storage Platform 2.0  delivers capabilities that simplify the management of both existing and new storage infrastructures, and provides new data services to underpin next-generation applications and Big Data analytics. The platform builds a bridge to the 3rd Platform  of IT by enabling users to manage their storage infrastructure in a consistent, fully automated way. It also plugs into higher-level management and orchestration tools from VMware, OpenStack and Microsoft so storage can be a part of broader data center workflows. Version 2.0 adds block data Services and geographic replication and distribution. It also provides support for commodity drives and additional 3rd-party arrays through OpenStack.
- EMC Data Domain DD2200  delivers a protection storage system with enterprise-class benefits that is specifically designed, priced and optimized for midmarket customers.
- VNX hybrid storage solutions, including an entry-level VNXe3200 storage array which is three times more efficient than previous VNXe solutions, and is based on the VNX Series (launched in September 2013 ).
- 'Project Liberty', a Software-Defined VNX, leverages the functionality and user experience of VNX, while delivering new levels of freedom to deploy applications with cloud-like agility in a software-defined data center.
- EMC D@RE (Data-At-Rest-Encryption) , providing the capability to encrypt data written to disk and eliminate data access from unauthorized drive removal.